Thursday, July 12, 2012

West Chester Summer Triple Threat Run

I decided when I woke up that I was definately down for running the WC Triple Threat. I was going to do the individual whole package - 5 miles. I did the same race last December and ran it around 42 minutes. It was going to be interesting to see if all these Spartan work outs of the day exercises and circuits were going to help my time. My goal was to beat last years time.

Zim came with me for support and drove to West Chester. I thank him bunches and bunches for going. We amazing got to WC in about a 1/2 hour during rush hour. I registered at Kildare's and was happy to know my $30 was going to help families living with cancer. The money went towards helping pay their bills. Before I knew it, 6:30pm was about to roll around. It was still a bit hot, I'd say upper 80s, low 90s, with low humidity. Not too bad. I stretched out and waited for the gun to fire. BANG! I was off like a prom dress.



The race consisted of 3 laps around 1.67 miles. I finished my first lap less than 13 minutes and felt fantastic. Midway through that second lap, I started to feel tired. I pushed thru and finished my 2nd lap at the 26 minute mark (3.34 miles so far). I gathered my strength physically and mentally and kept running at a good pace. I high fived a few kids routing all the runners on halfway thru. Great kids. Cheering and ringing bells. They were totally into it. That gave me a bit of a boost. I powered through the fatigue and turned onto the hill of Market Street, knowing the finish line was about 3 minutes away. I looked at my watch. 36 plus minutes. Hell, I'd love to finish this race under 40 minutes. I trotted harder up the hill, feeling my legs getting sore. I sprinted in a few spots. Now I started to feel like I wanted to vomit. I looked at my watch, 39 minutes and change, and I can smell the turn to the finish line. I run as hard as I can the last 150 meters or so. I see Zim who's clapping and running with me to finish strong. I see the time clock. 39:50. I book my ass off and cross the line at 39:58. YES!

Beat last year's time and finished under 40 minutes. Hellz yeah! First thing I desperately wanted was water. And I got it. Great race! Great cause! Great time! Went to Kildare's for after party. Celebrated with a Allagash White. Waited to hear the times of the women's top 3. Third place came in at 38:08. I guess I didn't do too shabby. I might have finished 4th or 5th overall for women. Pretty happy with myself. Kinda wondered if I would have been slightly faster if I wouldn't have ran 5.65 miles on Tuesday. Oh well. Came home and celebrated with a few more beers. Work's gonna suck tomorrow!!!



Playlist: Choking Victim: 500 Channels, 5 Finger Discount, Assjack: Tennessee Driver, Wasting Away, Redneck Ride, Hank 3: Crazed Country Rebel, Troopers Hollar, Joe Buck Yourself: Devil is On His Way, Leftover Crack: Rock the 40 oz, Crack City Rockers, Crack Rock Steady, Goddamn Gallows: Shattered, Save Us, Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs: Gettin' High For Jesus, Devil Makes Three: All Hail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment