Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hoods In the Woods 5K & Ceremony

5K trail race! A 2pm run in 90+ degree weather set upon the rolling hills of Paradise Farms in Downingtown, PA. Zim, Dell, and I headed out around 12pm to make sure we got a parking spot. Parking, we were told, could be quite tight. We got a parking spot no problem by 12:40pm. Lotsa waiting around time. We all finished registering, grabbed our bibs, recieved our very nice hoodies, and went back to my Jeep to bullshit and prepare for the race. The sun was beating down on us nicely. We made sure to hydrate. After waiting around for more than an hour we lined up around 1:50 and waited for that gunshot. I really didn't know what to expect. We were told there would be log jumps, mud bogs, exposed tree stumps, hills, and rocky soil. I took an extra pair of clothes and shoes expecting a lot of mud. Better safe than sorry. I wore shorts that I didn't care if I ruined, but they had shallow pockets. I safetly pinned my car key in one pocket, just in case, and found that my Ipod fit quite snug in my other one. I turned on Ceremony: Zoo and waited for the gunshot to start.

Bang bang

500 plus runners all tearing towards a hill with a path about 8 feet wide. It was hard to find a rhythm or try to pass folks. Having a decent grade hill off the bat had some runners walking right away. I didn't find the hill so tough, it was more trying to get around slower runners and finding that hole to sprint through. The first obstacle was a trio of logs to jump over. I was being pushed off to the side, so I didn't even had a chance to jump them. I finally made it around some slower runners and found some open space. The next obstacle was a small mud bog which I lost a lil footing and splashed a bit through it. I trucked along after. The next 2 obstacles was a very small creek bed and a fallen tree. Pretty easy going so far other than how tight the trail was when passing other runners. Then the killer....a real killer...the intense grade hill. As I ran up to it, runners started walking thru the maybe 4 foot path. I attempted to keep running, but it was pointless. I more or less was running in place. I jogged up it a bit, but folks wouldn't keep right if they were walking. Folks were slowly walking up with heads in hands. It was frickin' TOUGH. I stopped and walked for the first time ever in a race. Not going to lie, I was real tired. At the top, I thought it would be a quick turn around back down the hill. Nope. I wish. I was a slow incline with no cover in the blazing sun for about an 1/8 of a mile. Halfway thru, I stopped again and walked. I felt spent. I sucked it up and started running again back down that steep ass hill.

My legs were jelly. I had to make sure I had control of my feet as I flew down the hill. Only about a mile to go and my Ipod falls outta my pocket. I stop, scoop it back up and start running again. My watch is already over 25 minutes. Hills, valleys, hills, valley. I stopped once again on a decent grade incline in which no one else around me was running. Gathered myself and jogged up to the finish line.

TOUGH ass run. Finished 34:10, 127th outta 500. Not bad. Zim finished 74th and Dell 147. Not too shabby. Dranks lotsa water then headed for the Victory trucks for some Witbier and pork tacos. Yum!


I'm not gonna lie. I was spent as hell. The crew went to Vinnie's Pizza. I ate 2 mushroom slices. Came home showered, and fell asleep on the couch for a 1/2. Felt refreshed. Which was awesome coz I was stoked as hell to see Ceremony at the Barbary in Philly with my buddy Nick.

The Barbary must have the quickest shows in Philly. The 2 opening bands played about 20 minutes a piece and Ceremony only played for about a 1/2 hour. Good show. Heard all the Ceremony songs that I wanted to hear other than Kersed. Totally loved seeing Sick. Wished they would have played longer, but hell I only paid $10. Good times!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment