Saturday, January 19, 2013

Serattus Anterior

If that rings a bell, I feel your pain. Literally. For 10 plus years I've been dealing with this plaguing injury. I've been to the ER twice, doubled over in pain, demanding painkillers. Fun times. I'm weary of deep chest presses and too many pull-ups. Straight acts it up. Knife stabbing pain in between your top three ribs and continues around your scapula. It's scary too. If you don't know better you think you're having heart problems or a collapse of a lung. It's painful to breathe. Sometimes doctor's will prescribe anxiety pills to help with that feeling. I've learned to deal with it throughout my years fortunately.

I've said, I went to doctors and they couldn't give me a realistic diagnosis. Rotators cuff. Nope. Shoulder problems? Negative. inflamed shoulder girdle? Maybe. I stumbled across what was really wrong from a bit of research. Serattus Anterior. That muscle that extends to the bodies first few ribs, across the ribcage to the body's shoulder blade. Around a man's pec, and a gal's boob. So much fun. Found this injury has happened with my brother and sister. They were never given an answer to their chest/shoulder pain. Shoulder girdle maybe? Nothing certain. We've all had the same area of pain.

Treatment? Shut it down. Sucks, Anti-Inflammatory pills. Deep massage tissue at insertion points. Aleve. KT tape. Heat. I tried the foam roller today as well.

Today I pushed it. I should have known better. After a workout with my dad, I tried a 4.3 trail run. Felt great during my run! Absolute crap afterwards. Lotsa pain. I had Zim KT me up, took Aleve, and working on Vodka three. This is a terrible, terrible injury to deal with. Moving hurts. Breathing hurts. Luckily, I'm on a pain level of 4 outta 10. When all the buzzes and whistles burn out, it goes to a 7. It not too much fun.

Just wanted to shed light on this crap ass injury. No joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratus_anterior_muscle

1 comment:

  1. OUCH! I've had pinched nerves and strained ribs and know how consuming those can be. This sounds worse. Genetic maybe? Hope you heal up soon!

    ReplyDelete