Thursday, August 2, 2012

Bournelyf 5K Trail Run

I cowboyed up this morning and decided to give the Bournelyf run a go. It started at 7pm, so I felt like a couch potato waiting around, not working out. After I got my errands done in the morning I literally watched TV for 4 hours. Mostly Olympics though.



Zim and I got to Rustin High School in West Chester, PA a little before 6pm. It was $20 and the money went to the Bournelyf special needs kids' camp. Great cause and even better program. A decent amount of people showed up. I'd say more than 100 runners. One thing that I didn't know about the race was that it was 90% a trail run. I was sporting my cushy Brooks sneakers made for feet hitting the pavement. I woulda broke my Adidas trail sneaks if I woulda known. And I probably wouldn't have been slipping as much. But honestly it wasn't that much.

The trail circled around the Rustin High School campus grounds in the fields. They have a boatload of property out there. Pretty hilly and pretty tough. You're doing a decent amount of uphill running on some nice steady upgrades. It wasn't Mount Joy running. But it was definately challenging to just keep running. I didn't stop at all. But I wanted too. I think that's when all my training kicks in. In the last mile of the run, the path converges with folks doing the 2 mile fun walk. It was pretty awesome to see how much fun the camp kids were having. Big smiles everywhere. The race ends at the football stadium, finishing with one lap around the track. God I was tired. I saw Zim was already done as I started for the track. He crushed the race, coming in at 21:40!!! He took 2 minutes off his best pavement 5K!!! Kick ass!!! I crossed the finish line at 26:02 and guzzled down some water. Not too bad for running on a recovering foot, having some stomach issues earlier in the day, and it being a trail run. I can't complain.



I scarfed down a banana while Zim ate a bagel as we took a breather and talked to another runner. Then I spotted our friend Finn, who showed up to watch us run. Pretty awesome he came out to watch us race. Thanks dude! The awards ceremony started and my name got called for 10th woman overall. I won a $25 Giant gift card and a message from kids at the camp. Awesome!! Wasn't expecting that.

Glad I made the race. Had a blast!!!!

Playlist: Division of Laura Lee: Violence is Timeless

No comments:

Post a Comment