Tuesday, October 30, 2012

After the Storm

Although hurricane Sandy or cyclone, whatever it's technical name is, has still not completely passed yet, it's more or less done. It's still rainy and a little windy out there, but not too bad. Luckily we did not lose power at my house. The lights flickered a few times, but never went out. I got antsy this late morning and went for a run around the neighborhood to see what damages occurred. I broke out my track pants, rain jacket, and hat for the rain. My development wasn't bad at all. A few downed tree limbs, a lot of water moving around, but nothing major. Zim did see some fallen trees and downed powerlines around us on his way to work this morning though. I ran to the dog park/trailhead and was amazed that it wasn't washed away. The path was still runnable as far as I could see. It started to rain a bit harder so I made my way back. Ran over 3 and 1/4 miles in around 32 minutes. Still wanted to get more of a workout in, so I decided on upper body strength. I did the P90X shoulders, biceps, triceps workout. Kicked my butt since I was still pretty sore from yesterday.

Monday the weather started out rainy and altogether crappy, but it was better than I expected it to be. The hurricane's eye was supposed to make landfall around 5-7pm. No one really knew. Most places were closed, and I didn't want to be "that" person to show up to my gym, so I decided to do Insanity: Max Interval Circuit. (By the way, if you did go to your gym, awesome! I just didn't want to make someone have to stay at their job for my benefit. I would have went around 11:30am) Anyways...it's been over a month that I've done Max Interval Circuit. TOUGH! Those full body drills KILLED me! But in that good way. Nothing like being on your hands and knees, panting, feeling spent, with sweat pouring off of you. After Insanity, I finished with about 10-15 minutes of ab work. I showered up and braved the conditions to make it into work. It wasn't that bad. Luckily I got out early before it started to really pour and the winds started whipping.

Sunday I took the day off and more or less finished preparing everything for the hurricane. Fun, fun.  I watched Chelsea get cheated out of a 2-2 draw due to bad refereeing. That's what happens when you play Man United. Chelsea gets 2 red cards, Torres's was just ridiculous, and they get an offsides goal. Sooo frustrating. I hate losing, but if it's fair, it's fair. This was just disgusting.

Saturday, I wasn't sure what Sandy was going to bring so I went for a 4 and 1/2 miles plus run on the trail. Had a decent pace too. Ran it under 38 minutes. I think everyone and their mother's were out getting their last runs in. There were a ton of bikes. And a ton of bikers who don't understand sharing the trail. Is it that hard to move to the side if you're stopped? There was a group of about 12 bikers that literally took up the whole trail other than maybe a foot and a half. Ridiculous. I did have a really good run though. Ran with my Brooks ASRs, think my other Brooks are about done. Time to get a new pair soon!

Happy trails! Hope everyone is safe and their home's didn't get damaged or flooded.

2 comments:

  1. Glad the worst is over for you. I've just been keeping track of the updates here while in beautiful weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lucked out. I have friend in PA that got power on Friday. I have family and friends in Jersey who got hot pretty bad, but still have their houses. Pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete