Saturday, March 28, 2015

Less Than Twelve Hours To Go

Hopefully 12 hours from now I'll be coming up on mile 5 on the Love Run Half Marathon tomorrow. The time I'm writing this is 8:41pm. I'm excited and anxious. I picked up my bib on Friday afternoon. It was a long day of driving for me. I took the hour long ride to Reading with Victor to see my Grandmother on her 91st birthday. She looked good and said she felt good, so I was happy for her. She's 91 with some dementia, but I think she enjoyed the company. My mom bought a cake, we sang Happy Birthday, and she got to hold and watch Victor. I'm glad we made the trip. I got home around 2pm and decided to drive to Citizen's Bank Park (Phillies stadium) to pick up my bib for the race. I handed Victor off to Zim, got some gas, and took a forty-five minutes/hour long drive into Philly. I could have picked it up today started at 1:30, but I would have been driving straight into Flyers traffic. No thanks. I pulled into the lot at 3pm and made my way to the expo.

The expo was actually in CBP. I had to go up an escalator to get my bib. They had computers available if you didn't know your bib number. I looked up mine on Thursday so I was good to go. I also received a voucher for 2 free Phillies tickets ($38 max a ticket, not bad!) that could be used for any April game, excluding the home opener. After I was directed through the ballpark to the indoor Hall of Fame section that was full of vendors to pick up my free mug. It's a nice quality mug. Then I was directed down about 5-6 flights of stairs to go through a bunch more vendors to pick up my long sleeve tech shirt. Then I had to exit walking past the vendors again and out of the park. Three thoughts. 1)If you were in a hurry, you'd be pissed at the set-up 2)If you had a stroller or had little kids with you, you'd be pissed. 3)It was a real nice expo if you had a lot of time. Altogether it was a nice expo, but it could have been a little more streamlined.

The race starts tomorrow at 8am. I'm not so much nervous in running the race, my biggest worry is parking. There is no designated parking. It starts and ends in front of the art museum (the Rocky steps) and there's not a ton of parking garages. And not too many less than a mile away. I'm hoping I'll find a close garage or decent street parking. And there will be 15,000 other people around. Plus the road closures. I plan on leaving my house around 6am and hopefully get there around 6:30-6:45. I'm sure I'll be fine, but it's in my head.

My shoulder is feeling MUCH better. Every now and then I'll feel it in certain movements, but it's not painful, more of a soreness. I'm very happy about that. My left knee, which has never hurt before, felt a little sore on Thursday, but I'm not very worried. Here's my last week of training workouts:

Sunday: 46 minutes in the elliptical at my parents

Tuesday: TRAIL run!! Yay!! No more ice! I did 6.26 miles in 55 minutes.

Wednesday: Leg workout
1)Squats: 20 reps, 15, 12, 10, 8.
2)Jumping Lunges: 20, 15, 12, 10, 8
3)Calf raises: 20 reps/50lbs - 5 sets
4)in & out crunches: 30 reps - 5 sets
5)tip-toe lunges: 20, 15, 12, 10, 8

Thursday: 3.4 miles in 30 minutes on the trail

Wish I could have had one more week of training. I really wanted to hit 8-9 miles. I think I'm going to be okay though. I have my clothes out, bag packed, and I'm ready to go!





1 comment:

  1. Just picking up your race packet sounds like a half marathon! Funny, I always worry most about parking too. Have fun, I look forward to your race recap. Wow, Victor's getting big! Happy Birthday to Grandma :)

    ReplyDelete