Saturday, February 21, 2015

Snow Again

I was hoping to get a nice little run in this afternoon, but with the temperature of a balmy 20 degrees out this early afternoon and snow, I ended up going to the gym to hit up the elliptical. And DAMN, what a drive to get there. I have a Jeep, so I've never too worried about driving in the snow. I wasn't worried about the 5 mile drive to my gym, but wow, the traffic out was nutty. There was only about an inch and a half on the ground, and it was a little dicey in spots, but other drivers were in full on panic mode. I really thought someone might slide into me a few times. The 10 minute drive to the gym turned into 20-25 minutes. I hit up the elliptical for 45 minutes and called it a day. My adrenaline must have been pumpin' coz I hit over 6 miles in those 45 minutes. I hit a 5K in about 22 minutes, and I didn't have it on a low level. I was doing my 15 sprint, 15 regular, 15 sprint, 15 regular and up the levels each minute for 5 minutes. Worked up a nice sweat!

As for the running, I'm doing good. I ended up running two days after my first time back running and did feel a little soreness in my hamstring/sciatic. Nothing bad or painful, just like a "hey, you haven't used me in a while", type of thing. I ended up using the elliptical again that week, just to give myself more of a rest. I did run again on Wednesday, and felt pretty good. I felt the soreness a tiny bit, and overall felt pretty damn good about the run. I ran 4.3 miles in 37 minutes. One thing that did happen on that run was that I tripped on the sidewalk and took a spill. It honestly felt like I was in slow motion. I more or less landed in a slide, and luckily didn't get hurt what so ever. I guess I awakened something in my fall and my time got faster. I wish I could lie and say I hit ice, but no, my mind was already on crossing a street, and I fell. Lucked out.

I did decide to stick with the half marathon I signed up for. With the weather the way it's been, most of the runners have been training on the treadmill or an elliptical I'd presume. I still have till March 1st to get my money back, but I'm confident I can run it. Unless I'm limping, I'm all in for this run.

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 40s. Maybe I'll sneak in a run. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment