Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Balls and Floss

No this isn't a rated X post. It's a mobility post! Sorry pervs! Anyways, I've been using a variation of different mobility balls to smash my glutes and hamstrings. I've been feeling better, but I'm not 100% yet. Here's some of the different tools I've been using (excluding the foam roller), all which are great.

The first ball I used was a large dimple ball that Zim bought from Rouge Fitness over a year ago or so. It's 3.8 inches in diameter and made of solid hard plastic with dimples. It's great for your quads and calfs. It also works good for the upper back and shoulders. Not so great for the neck though. Too big. It's been working good for my glutes, but seems a little too large to really sink into some of the muscles. It's sold at $8, which is reasonable.

I got a two pack of the Gaiam yoga balls from Target. One is round and the size of a baseball made of hard rubber. The other is about the same size with plastic stumpy spikes. They both can be put into the freezer or put in hot water if you need something iced or heated. Kinda neat. I've only used the baseball sized one and I have it in the freezer. It works pretty well. It's good on hard to reach muscles, especially the ribs. Just wish it was a little softer. But hell, I always have it cold. A good deal for $14.99.

My favorite is Rogue's WOD Supernova ball. It's just right with a diameter of 3.15 inches. There is a larger one, I went with the smaller one. It's sturdy but softer than the rest of the balls I've used. It has some grooves on it to really work into the knots and hotspots. It's working wonders on my glutes and everything else. Even the neck. The only drawback is the price, $34.99, but I'm more than happy with it. 

All these guys work good along with some foam rolling. My favorite is the Supernova ball hands down. It works great with the hard to get places and the larger muscle groups.

Flossing! Something that I've only heard about in the last year or so. Rogue makes a Voodoo Floss band that is supposed to aid in muscle recovery. The band looks like one of those resistance bands that they sell at any sporting good store. The Voodoo band is thinner, longer, and made for compression. You're supposed to wrap the band towards your heart over your sore muscle or hotspot and compress the area until it feels like pins and needles or see a discoloration, then unwrap. This is the flossing. Yes, it sounds sketchy, but the science makes sense. The new blood that rushes to the muscle after unwrapping is supposed to have more oxygen which aids in recovery. I've been doing it for my hamstring, but knowing there's a major artery there, I'm weary to get to the point of pins and needles. I have a friend who would use it for their tennis elbow, and swears by it. It runs around $25.

So balls and flossing. They've been some of my adventures lately.






No comments:

Post a Comment