Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Inside Gym Work

It's pretty frigid out there. It's pretty frigid everywhere in the country. Polar vortex eh? Never even heard of the term until this week. Anyways, work out inside! It's much warmer!

Today is a leg workout with a bit of arms. My garage is too cold, so I headed down my basement which is much warmer. Here goes:

5 minute warm-up

15 weighed calf raises
10 hammers
10 lunges
10 shoulder press
10 body squats
10 each leg power knee
10 curls
10 step back lunges
10 tricep kickbacks
10 tip-toe lunges
12 side lunges
10 each leg kicks 

Run in place for 1 minute

REPEAT

Cool down/stretch

10lb weights were used for all arm exercises.

Monday's workout was all upper body. I wouldn't mind switching the routine up, but I'm in a maintenance mode of exercising. I'm not trying to gain muscle, more like trying to maintain the muscle that I have. I try to change routines quarterly to keep it interesting and also to promote some muscle confusion. Anyways, here was Monday:

5 minute warm-up

Lawnmowers (18)
In & out hammers
Medicine ball tricep press (10)
Push-ups

Shoulder press
Curls
Dips (20)
Push-ups

Shoulder shrug (30)
Standing band row
Standing band pull-down tricep
Push-ups

Upright rows
Curls/hammers
Overhead tricep press
Push-ups

REPEAT

Finish with a 1 mile jog

DONE.

First set is 10 reps, second is 8. Unless noted, all weights were 15lbs. Push-ups were 5 for the first set, 3 for the second.

I was super happy to get a mile run in. After all the snow, ice, wind, etc it felt good to get a jog in. It's been a week that I last ran. It was pretty windy and at one point started to flurry. About 6 hours later the temperature dropped into the 20s and has only made it into the teens today with wind chills in the negative numbers. Damn polar vortex!!

Playlist: The Dead Boys

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I learned "Polar Vortex" earlier and now "Muscle Confusion", my new year is starting off good! And yeah, Deborah Harry was awesome on New Year's Rockin' Eve.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete