Sunday, October 25, 2015

Running for the 10K

About 3 weeks ago I signed up for my first 10K. I've done 5Ks, 11K, 15K, and a half marathon. Never a 10K. I've been averaging 5-6 miles, three times a week for the past couple of months, so why the hell not sign up?! And I did.

The last two weeks I've been running about 50 minutes for 6 miles and feeling good about it. So finally race day rolls around and my son is up half the night struggling with a cold. I fell asleep on the couch with him from 4:30-6:30. I get up and get dressed working on about 5 hours of sleep. Honestly it wasn't that bad. Zim got up with him during the night as well. I scarfed down some brown sugar pop tarts and headed out to the race. Temperatures were in the lower 40s/upper 30s. Chilly! 

We lined up, the whistle blew, and off we went. The course was pretty hilly. Not many steep hills, but gradual decent inclines. Killer. And about 3 steep hills. The first 2 and a half miles were pretty flat, the rest pretty hilly. I powered through, and finished 6.2 miles in 50:48 minutes, 33rd overall. I won 1st in my age group. Pretty sweet! I celebrated with a beer and a nap. I sure know how to party!!

I have 2 more 5Ks between now and Thanksgiving. I think I'm going to run more races that are 5+ miles from now on. 5Ks are great, but not very challenging. Something to plan for next year.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the 10k! 10k's seem to be getting pretty rare. Seems like you could do a 5k every weekend if you wanted, and half-marathons are gaining in popularity, but poor 10k sometimes gets forgotten. I think it's a fun distance and do a 10k race every year on new year's day. Like you, I think the 5k's are over too fast. Gotta turkey trot, though!

    ReplyDelete